In January 1952, Monsignor Edmund J. Murnane organized a branch office of Catholic Charities of Portland in Eugene known as "Catholic Charities of Lane County" to help families and individuals in need. In the 1980's, the agency's name was changed to Catholic Community Services of Lane County when it became an independent "member" organization of Catholic Charities of Portland. Over the years, our name and programs have changed, but our mission to provide compassionate service that recognizes the dignity of every human being remains the same.
Over sixty years ago, the staff managed a foster home program, provided marriage counseling, served unwed mothers and their children, and gave emergency aid to people in crisis. Today, Catholic Community Services distributes food boxes, provides emergency shelter and transitional housing, supports and educates young parents, and distributes energy assistance and other funds to aid people in a variety of difficult situations.